It's also time to start conjuring up frightful tales for Clovis Media Inc.’s Scary Story Contest. That's right, Halloween will be here before you know it, so start thinking about the holiday writing contest, which is open to students of all ages. EVERYONE IS A STUDENT OF LIFE so you qualify too.
The contest is a great way to use writing and artistic skills to capture the spirit of Halloween. The number of winners has yet to be determined. Our panel might pick 1 story above all others, they might pick 100. We just do not know until we get the entries.
Many teachers use the contest as a creative writing assignment, but a lot of the entries come from kids who enjoy working on the project at home. You can illustrate your stories as well, but artwork will not be judged as part of the contest and it cannot be returned.
There is plenty of inspiration around to get in the mood for writing creepy tales - check out your local library for some of the masters in the field or think about what it is that gives you goose bumps when you are alone at night. But remember, it's all in good fun and your original tales should be more creative than bloody. So start writing!
The deadline for entries is 5pm, Thursday, October 11, 2012.
Here are the contest rules
• Stories must be original and unpublished.
• Stories must be 500 words or fewer. Stories more than 500 words will not be considered.
• Students, including students of life, are encouraged to submit drawings or paintings with their stories - bats, jack-o'-lanterns, witches, etc. (If you submit artwork, be sure it's done on plain paper rather than paper with rules, such as looseleaf or notebook paper.)
• All entries, that means stories and artwork, must have the student's name, age, address, telephone number, grade and school he or she attends. Please print neatly, so we can read the names. (Teachers who submit class entries must make sure each entry has this information on it.) Entries cannot be returned.
• One author per story, please.
• Submit Online (Optional)
• Entries must be received by 5pm, Thursday, October 11, at any of our 3 offices, in Clovis, Portales, or Tucumcari to be included in the contest. None will be accepted after this date. Submit online or you can either drop them off at the office; mail them to: Scary Stories, Clovis Media Inc., Attn: Robert ArrowsmithP.O. Box 1689, Clovis, NM 88102-1689; or email your story to email@example.com
• Please do not email attachments. It's best to copy and paste the story into the body of the email. No faxes, please, as they can be difficult to read.
• If you submit an entry via email, do not duplicate the submission by mailing it or dropping it off at the office.
• Winners must agree to have their photo taken by Clovis Media Inc. for use in a photo illustration on the theme of the winning entry. The winning stories will be published in the newspaper on Halloween. Clovis Media Inc will have the right to publish the winning entries in any manner, including on our website or in any other form. .
If you have any questions, please contract Robert Arrowsmith at 575-763-7350, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All times are in Mountain Time.
Fri, Sep 14 2012 12:00 AM -
Thu, Oct 11 2012 4:59 PM